Monday, October 21, 2013

Ugh...The Red Sox...Plus Book of the Week!

You must know something about me. I am a die hard Yankees fan. So when The Red Sox, a team I've loathed since I was 2, clinched a spot in the World Series, I was a little dismayed. Especially since my Yanks are at home on the couch or golfing. They'll play the Cardinals and probably win which will put me in an even worse mood. Then, to top it all off, the first student I see this morning is wearing a Sox hat and telling me about how she had seats in center field for the game....Go Cardinals!

Music- Currently I'm listening to Nick Cave & Warren Ellis' stuff, old Nirvana B-sides, and I spin Converge's Jane Doe on the way home from work everyday.

Books- I just finally finished American Lion which is the story of Andrew Jackson in the White House. Dude was harsh...Rumor has it that, in a duel, he allowed the other man to shoot first uncontested so he himself could get off a clean shot. 

Now for your Book of the Week
The girl on the cover is dead. Well...sort of. Her name is Tegan and she's 16, just trying to make it by like every other teen in the year 2027. Things are starting to come together for her, too. She's got a hot date, good friends, etc. That's when tragedy strikes. A sniper's bullet find her head and drops her like a hot potato. DEAD. And then she wakes up. Weird right? How did she survive? 

As you can ascertain from the cover, she was frozen. She wakes up 100 years later as Australia's newest celebrity: The Frozen Dead Girl! The book gradually lets the reader think that the government froze her for scientific reasons, for good. But as you read, you realize that the government might not have the best intentions for young Tegan and Tegan realizes that the future isn't exactly what she had expected.

This was a good, good book. Not great, but good. The reason is wasn't super was because the middle was super slow. They do give you clues as to what's going to happen, but it's so few and far between that it couldn't keep my attention through the entire novel. The ending more than makes up for it, though and the characters drive the story once it finally gets going again.


No comments:

Post a Comment