Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Bott's Book of the Week + A Couple Library Things...

Tough loss on Friday, Dutchmen. What did Shakespeare say? "It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves." You'll get them next time.

On the library end of things- Quotation books are out in the library for those that need a good yearbook quote. Don't make it something from a song, please. Those are always the worst. I can't tell you how many of my classmates quoted a song that now everyone makes fun of- make it something good. Might I suggest Shakespeare, Voltaire, Hobbes, Locke, etc.

NOW for the Book of the Week:

A Pig, A Movie Star, and A Small Town Girl.

Mr. Bott's Book of the Week: This Is What Happy Looks Like


This book had an interesting story and after reading a TON of fantasy and science fiction, I needed a little fluff. Yes...this book is fluffy. It has love, humor, and a pig. In fact, that's how this whole thing started. Graham is a movie star. Like a real, live movie star. Ellie is not. These two should have no connections other than Ellie seeing Graham on the big screen; however, Graham sends an accidental email to Ellie about his pet pig. Ellie is, needless to say, shocked. 

What's even more shocking is that Graham takes a liking to the response Ellie sends. Wouldn't you know it....these two hit it off over emails. They tell each other life stories and experiences and soon Graham starts to think that Ellie's hometown in Maine would be the perfect place to shoot his new movie. That's where things get a little complicated. Can Ellie and Graham survive a real life meeting? 

Before I answer that (which I won't because that would ruin the ending), this is not a book I'd normally pick up. It's lovey...I'm not. It's fluffy...I'm not. But I very much enjoyed the emails between Ellie and Graham. They were funny and light and at times I forgot that Graham was a "movie star" because Ellie brought him back down to earth with her small town charm. This is also a very quick read because the emails make up a good portion of the book. It's not without its faults, though. I think Jennifer Smith is a great writer and I liked her previous novel but I don't see her writing that life changing novel for students like John Green's Looking for Alaska. I have to be in the mood to read lovey dovey stuff. It just so happens I was this time.


No comments:

Post a Comment