Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Hello Guilderland! Bott's Book-o-da-Week & More



Sorry for the delay in posts. It's been a busy, crazy month here. I am excited to join Guilderland Central School District as their new high school librarian! I have been transitioning nicely and meeting teachers and students. DISCLAIMER!!! I can barely remember my own name sometimes, let alone 1800 students/teachers, so forgive me if I ask you your name 20 times.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, now on to my book of the week! I have said it before that I am sick of dystopian fiction. Since The Hunger Games came out and blew up the world every few months we see another book cross the desk that has, "similar to The Hunger Games" in the description. I stepped back for a bit and read a bunch of non-fiction, a TON of zombie fiction, and everything John Green ever wrote. So when I picked up The Silenced by James DeVita, needless to say I was hesitant.


I had to give it a shot and I was VERY pleased. 

The Silenced tells the story of Marena, a 16 year old girl whose country has recently come under the rule of the Protectorate, a totalitarian government created by the Zero Tolerance PartyEmphasizing homogeneous thinking and personal appearance, the Protectorate restricts basic rights and freedoms and the idea of individuality is strictly forbidden.
The Protectorate describes this philosophy of Zero Tolerance as, “there is no room for YOU anymore, there is only room for US.” 

Citizens are moved from their homes and settled into re-adaption communities to help them embrace the new order. Children are required to attend classes at training facilities to be schooled in this new “right-thinking” and any resistance results in behavior modification or neutralization. Marena’s own mother was neutralized for speaking out against the ideals of the Zero Tolerance Party.

All of this suffocation, in combination with her mother's downfall, ignite her passion and resolve to rise up against the Zero Tolerance Party. This book is partly inspired by true events from WWII and a group of German students called the White Rose resistance group.

It is a fascinating look at how the past can predict the future and even though there is certainly some repetition here from other dystopian novels, The Silenced stands on its own.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 This is one book of many that I have on the dock to review. If you have any suggestions for me, you can email me at bottb@guilderlandschools.net or stop by the library to see me any time!



No comments:

Post a Comment