Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bott's Book of the Week - Lying by Sam Harris

Lying

I'm reviewing a non-fiction book this week...WAIT, don't hit the little red X in the corner yet...It's about a very person topic. Lying. We all do it. Some do it everyday. But is it all that bad? I mean, what if you tell your significant other they look great with that new haircut when they really look hideous/terrifying? Sam Harris argues that even these little white lies have an affect and erode our moral fiber.

Harris is a brilliant writer. The book is only 108 pages which make it a quick and thought provoking read. My favorite part is that  I went into this book feeling like a semi-honest person and came out feeling a little betrayed by my own sense of morality. That alone made it a great book for me. Harris kindly offers "advice" as to how to become a more honest person as well. He helps to define the fuzzy area of what constitutes a lie or just simply avoiding the truth (a type of lie he argues). 

I'm trying really hard to think of a lie I told that wouldn't be too embarrassing, but for some reason my mind is only going to places would compromise what most of you think of me. Anyway, I strongly suggest going to YouTube and watching a Sam Harris debate as he is a phenomenal off-the-cuff speaker and one of my idols when it comes to debates. He makes a great case in this book for never lying again and although I can't say that's going to happen, I'm certainly going to think twice before I say, "You look great in that dress." or "I love your hair, get it cut like that forever!" After all, when you lie, you have to remember that lie which makes a false memory within the framework of your own mind...Who has time for that?

No comments:

Post a Comment